Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Can I play MLB commissioner for a bit?

[flashback to the bottom of the 8th inning in game 3 of the Cubs / Giants NLDS:]

...and the Giants continue to be the most annoying team ever. The Cubs will probably lose this series. I thought for a second that the Phillies had Conor Gillaspie (aka the "we had him" syndrome whenever an ex-Phillies player does something great for another team) at one point, but maybe I was mixing him up with some other terrible hitter that cae from the White Sox. That 2013 season is a bit of a blur.

[currently watching game 4 of the Nationals / Dodgers NLDS in the background:]

Meh. The Dodgers aren't that much better. But in my world an annoying barely above average team like the Giants that just gets hot at the right time especially would never get near the playoffs. I know it would never happen, but in my ideal world I'd rather see the playoffs be the top 2 teams in each league. Maybe even get rid of divisions entirely. This year have it Cubs / Nationals and Indians / Rangers right away. Why even have a freaking 162 game season otherwise? Sorry, I'm just tired of these inferior wild cards.

I also think when making each league equally 15 teams for realignment purposes, I would have sent the Diamondbacks to the American League West rather than the Astros. The Astros had a good 36 years more history as an National League team than the Diamondbacks did, and having both Texas teams in the AL West just doesn't seem right. The Rockies could have been another contender to be switched, but maybe Coors Field being an AL city with the designated hitter would be a bit too extreme. Of course, if I were in charge, the designated hitter wouldn't exist either, so there's that, too.

Also, if MLB ever goes to 32 teams rather than 30 when adding two more, I fear that they would switch to 4 divisions in each league rather than 2, which would allow for the possibility of even worse parity and far superior teams to division winners unfairly thrown into wild card games. Here's how I would realign things in the two division format if you have to add 2 more teams (maybe in Memphis or Montreal or something?):

AL East: Blue Jays, Indians, Orioles, Rays, Red Sox, Tigers, Yankees, New Team #1.
AL West: Angels, Athletics, Diamondbacks, Mariners, Rangers, Royals, Twins, White Sox.
NL East: Braves, Marlins, Mets, Nationals, Pirates, Phillies, Reds, New Team #2.
NL West: Astros, Brewers, Cardinals, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Rockies, Padres.

I guess I would grudgingly allow for two wild cards in each league but make the first round best of 7 and have the regular season go 154 games instead. Besides getting rid of the DH, I would also eliminate that rule where a starting pitcher has to go 5 innings to get a win, eliminate that idiotic "home field advantage" in the All Star Game, make it an umpire's discretion if it's blatantly obvious a runner would have scored on a ground rule double, get rid of the horrible "home plate collision" rule, make it a rule that a pitcher has to face at least two batters unless he's injured, let Pete Rose and Joe Jackson be Hall Of Fame eligible and get rid of the 10 player limit on ballots, get rid of saves entirely (maybe make some kind of combined "save / hold" statistic for fantasy baseball purposes?), get rid of outdated "blackout" restrictions, get rid of the "expanded rosters" in September, get rid of "rivalry" games in interleague play (I'd definitely keep interleague play itself because I think it's interesting, but I think we'll live if the Mets and Yankees go a year without playing each other), and... hmm... I'm sure there are a few more that aren't coming to mind at the moment.

Maybe MLB will totally listen to me once this blog becomes a worldwide sensation and all these changes are in place by 2030, when the NFL won't exist anymore and Ted Mosby's kids successfully make a plan to get Robin Scherbatsky and Barney Stinson back together.

No comments:

Post a Comment